Hello! We look forward to working together this summer. This page contains general information about the summer professional development institutes in Austin, Texas. You will receive additional details by email as your session date approaches. If you have any questions, feel free to email Lauren Cotlar or call 512-471-4706.
Professional Development Details:
- Times: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM; Monday – Friday
* We will complete the institute by noon on the last Friday to facilitate travel plans.
- Engineering Design and Analysis (EDA) June Session: Monday, June 8 – Friday, June 19, 2020
- Engineering Applications of Computer Science (ECS): Monday, July 13 – Friday, July 24, 2020
- Engineering Design and Analysis (EDA) July Session: Monday, July 20 – Friday, July 31, 2020
- Location: The courses will be held in the Center for Energy and Environmental Resources Building (Bldg. 133) at UT’s J.J. Pickle Research Campus in Austin, TX, located at 10100 Burnet Road. You will receive additional information about the building and room location closer to the session date.
- Parking: A parking permit will be provided to you on the first day of the program. You will not need to obtain one. Please arrive a few minutes early to allow time to pick up the permit and place it on your vehicle dashboard.
- This summer we are excited to be working with Staybridge Suites Austin Arboretum-Domain! Their address is:
Staybridge Suites Austin Arboretum-Domain
10201 Stonelake Boulevard
Austin, TX 78759
- The discounted room rate is $110/night. You will pay the hotel directly. A credit card is required to hold the room, but charges will not be incurred until after your stay.
- If your campus is a recipient of United Engineering Foundation funding, please visit our UEF Funding page for details.
- Please make your hotel reservations using the link below that corresponds to your session.
- Reservations should be made with an arrival date of the Sunday before your session begins and a departure of the final Friday.
- If you would like to make a reservation outside of this timeframe, please reach out to our contact, Simon Guertin at Staybridge, and he’ll be happy to help. Simon can be reached by phone at (512) 349-0888 or by email at Simon.Guertin@ihg.com.
- If applicable, tax exempt forms will be provided for completion upon check-in.
- If you require other accommodations, have questions about payment, or need an invoice, please contact Simon.
Travel & Meals:
- You are responsible for arranging and paying for your travel to and from Austin and within the city while you are here. Please note the hotel does have a shuttle available that can bring you to and from training each day. The shuttle does not pick up at the airport.
- Meals are not provided, however the hotel includes a complimentary hot breakfast daily and a Social Reception (Monday-Wednesday evenings) with free beverages and light appetizers. Additionally, each room is equipped with a kitchenette and utensils to prepare food.
- Please make appropriate arrangements with your school or district for travel reimbursement before traveling to Austin.
- What to Bring: Please bring a laptop with you to use in class loaded the with required software. Please ensure you have administrative privileges on the laptop you bring with you to training so we can connect you to our wireless network the first morning of class. Software and hardware requirements can be found on the EYW Resources page: engineeryourworld.org/resources (Password: EYW#1utatx).
- Dress Code: Please come dressed comfortably to class. Jeans and shorts are acceptable attire. Please note that you will need to bring a pair of closed toe shoes and long pants with you to class in the event you go into one of the labs in our building. *To our out of state attendees, Texas is HOT in the summer, but we do like our air conditioning, so it can be chilly indoors. A light jacket or sweater is advised.
- Evenings and Weekends: You will have homework on some nights, but there will be chances to explore Austin during your stay here. There are no classes scheduled on the weekend. The Engineer Your World team has put together a list of things to do and places to eat in the Austin area. Check out the list here: bit.ly/EYWAustin
- Make your flight arrangements, if applicable.
- Make your hotel reservation (see details above).
- Complete and return applicable paperwork (the safety waiver, photo release, and participant agreement) included in your confirmation email. Please upload these required documents to the UTBox Upload Widget or return them via email to Lauren Cotlar.
- Complete the required pre-survey sent to you via email. This should take 15-20 minutes.