Hello! We look forward to working together this summer.
This page contains general information about the Engineering Analysis and Design (commonly referred to as EYW: Design) summer professional development institutes held in Austin, Texas. You will receive additional details by email as your session date approaches.
If you have any questions, feel free to email Theresa Dobbs or call 512-471-3017.
Professional Development Details:
- Times: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM; Monday – Friday
* We will complete the PDI by noon on the last Friday of Sessions 1 and 3 to facilitate travel plans.
- EYW: Design Session 1: Monday, June 6 – Friday, June 17, 2022
- EYW: Design Session 2: Monday, June 27 – Friday, July 1, 2022**
- EYW: Design Session 3: Monday, July 18 – Friday, July 29, 2022
- EYW: Design Session 4: Monday, August 1-Friday, August 5, 2022**
- Only teachers who attended our full PDI virtually in Summer 2020 or Summer 2021 are eligible to register for sessions marked with an **
- Location: The courses will be held in the Center for Energy and Environmental Resources Building (Bldg. 133) at UT’s J.J. Pickle Research Campus in Austin, TX, located at 10500 Exploration Way, Austin 78758. You will receive additional information about the building and room location closer to the session date.
- Parking: A parking permit will be provided to you on the first day of the program. You will not need to obtain one. Please arrive a few minutes early to allow time to pick up the permit and place it on your vehicle dashboard.
- This summer we are excited to be working with the Sonesta ES Suites Austin – The Domain Area, located at: 10201 Stonelake Boulevard, Austin, TX 78759; (512) 349-0888
- We have secured discounted room rates ranging from $105-$120/night depending on room type and length of stay.
- You will pay the hotel directly. A credit card is required to reserve the room. If your campus is a recipient of United Engineering Foundation funding, we will contact you directly regarding your reservation.
- Please make your hotel reservations using the link below that corresponds to your session.
- EYW: Design Session 1: June 6-17
- EYW: Design Session 2: June 27 – July 1
- EYW: Design Session 3: July 18-29
- EYW: Design Session 4: August 1-5
- Reservations should have an arrival date of the Sunday before your session begins and a departure date of the final Friday.
- If you need an invoice, please contact Anthony Durham, Operations Manager. His email address is Anthony.email@example.com.
- To our Texas participants, the hotel will need a copy of your state tax-exemption form upon arrival in order to make state tax adjustments in the system for your reservation.
- There is NOT a shuttle service from the hotel to our meeting location.
- If you require other accommodations or have questions, please reach out to our primary contact at Sonesta ES Suites, Miranda Chavera, and she’ll be happy to help. Miranda can be reached by phone at (512) 349-0888 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Travel & Meals:
- You are responsible for arranging and paying for your travel to and from Austin and within the city while you are here. Please note the hotel does NOT have a shuttle available that can bring you to and from training each day.
- Meals are not provided, however the hotel includes a complimentary hot breakfast daily. Additionally, each room is equipped with a kitchenette and utensils to prepare food.
- Please make appropriate arrangements with your school or district for travel reimbursement before traveling to Austin.
- Dress Code: Please come dressed comfortably to class. Jeans and shorts are acceptable attire. *To our out of state attendees, Texas is HOT in the summer, but we do like our air conditioning, so it can be chilly indoors. A light jacket or sweater is advised.
- Evenings and Weekends: You will have homework on some nights, but there will be chances to explore Austin during your stay here. There are no classes scheduled on the weekend. The Engineer Your World team has put together a list of things to do and places to eat in the Austin area. Check out the list here: bit.ly/EYWAustin
Things to do now:
- Make your flight arrangements, if applicable.
- Make your hotel reservation (see details above).
- Complete and return applicable paperwork (the safety waiver, photo release, and participant agreement) included in your confirmation email. Please upload these required documents to the UTBox Upload Widget.
- Submit your headshot – upload to the UTBox Upload Widget.
- Complete the required pre-survey sent to you via email.
- Ensure your PD invoice is paid. You will be (or have been) copied on the invoice sent to the accounting contact specified on your school enrollment form. This is typically sent in the spring or early summer, but will depend on when teacher registration occurs.
Things to do before Professional Development:
- Ensure you have a computer for PD: You will need a laptop throughout the duration of the PD. Please ensure you have broad administrative privileges on the laptop that you are using during training; this very is important in case you need to fix unexpected issues quickly in order to continue participating in PD.
- Install required software. Please see the Software tab on EYW: Design Equipment and Software spreadsheet.
- Purchase equipment and supplies (if applicable): For information about how to purchase supplies and equipment kits, please see the Resources Webpage here: engineeryourworld.org/resources (Password: EYW#1utatx).
If your campus is a recipient of United Engineering Foundation funding, please visit our UEF Funding page for details.
Check back here regularly for updates!