Hello! We look forward to working together this summer.
This page contains general information about the Engineering Analysis and Design (commonly referred to as EYW: Design) summer professional development institutes held in Austin, Texas. You will receive additional details by email as your session date approaches.
If you have any questions, feel free to email Theresa Dobbs or call 512-471-3017.
Professional Development Details:
- Times: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM; Monday – Friday
* We will complete the PDI by noon on the last Friday of each session to facilitate travel plans.
- EYW: Design Session 1: Tuesday, June 20 – Friday, June 30, 2023*
- EYW: Design Session 2: Monday, July 17 – Friday, July 28, 2023
- *Note: Session 1 runs Tuesday, June 20 through Friday, June 30 and INCLUDES Saturday, June 24. This unusual schedule is necessary to accommodate the federal Juneteenth holiday on Monday, June 19.
- Location: The courses will be held in the Center for Energy and Environmental Resources Building (Bldg. 133) at UT’s J.J. Pickle Research Campus in Austin, TX, located at 10500 Exploration Way, Austin 78758. You will receive additional information about the building and room location closer to the session date.
- Parking: A parking permit will be provided to you on the first day of the program. You will not need to obtain one. Please arrive a few minutes early to allow time to pick up the permit and place it on your vehicle dashboard.
- This summer we are excited to be working with Home 2 Suites Austin North/Near the Domain, located at 2800 Esperanza Crossing, Austin, TX 78758.
- The discounted room rate is $151/night. You will pay the hotel directly. A credit card is required to hold the room, but charges will not be incurred until after your stay.
- Please make your hotel reservations using the link below that corresponds to your session.
- Reservations should be made with an arrival date of the Sunday before your session begins and a departure of the final Friday. If you need to make a reservation outside of this timeframe, please reach out to our contact at Home2, Tari Hood, and she’ll be happy to help. Tari can be reached by phone at (512) 339-2400 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To our Texas participants – don’t forget your State of Texas tax exempt form to present upon check-in.
- If you require other accommodations, have questions about payment, or need an invoice, please contact Tari.
- There is not a shuttle from the Airport to the hotel, or to our building.
Travel & Meals:
- You are responsible for arranging and paying for your travel to and from Austin and within the city while you are here.
- Meals are not provided, however the hotel includes a complimentary hot breakfast daily. Additionally, each room is equipped with a full size refrigerator, dishwasher, dishes, and microwave. A stove top burner is available from the front desk.
- Please make appropriate arrangements with your school or district for travel reimbursement before traveling to Austin.
- Dress Code: Please come dressed comfortably to class. Jeans and shorts are acceptable attire. On some days during the PD we will work in a lab space where closed toe shoes and long pants are required; please be sure to pack accordingly. *To our out of state attendees, Texas is HOT in the summer, but we do like our air conditioning, so it can be chilly indoors. A light jacket or sweater is advised.
- Evenings and Weekends: You will have homework on some nights, but there will be chances to explore Austin during your stay here. There are no classes scheduled on the weekend (except for Session 1 where class will be held on Saturday, June 24). The Engineer Your World team has put together a list of things to do and places to eat in the Austin area. Check out the list here: bit.ly/EYWAustin
Things to do now:
- Make your flight arrangements, if applicable.
- Make your hotel reservation (see details above).
- Complete and return applicable paperwork (the safety waiver, photo release, and participant agreement) included in your confirmation email. Please upload these required documents to the UTBox Upload Widget.
- Submit your headshot – upload to the UTBox Upload Widget.
- Complete the required pre-survey sent to you via email.
- Ensure your PD invoice is paid. You will be (or have been) copied on the invoice sent to the accounting contact specified on your school enrollment form. This is typically sent in the spring or early summer, but will depend on when teacher registration occurs.
Things to do before Professional Development:
- Ensure you have a computer for PD: You will need a laptop throughout the duration of the PD. Please ensure you have broad administrative privileges on the laptop that you are using during training; this very is important in case you need to fix unexpected issues quickly in order to continue participating in PD.
- Install required software. Please see the Software tab on EYW: Design Equipment and Software spreadsheet.
- Purchase equipment and supplies (if applicable): For information about how to purchase supplies and equipment kits, please see the Resources Webpage here: engineeryourworld.org/resources (Password: EYW#1utatx).
Check back here regularly for updates!