Hello! We look forward to working together this summer.
Due to the university’s ongoing restrictions on in-person group gatherings related to COVID-19, this year’s professional development (PD) will be held online in several parts. First, there will be a two-week online training session this summer that will prepare you to teach the entire fall semester of Engineering Applications of Computer Science (EYW: Computing). This page contains general information about this Summer EYW: Computing PD, and we’ll continue to share information as we have it.
Later, during the Fall and Spring semesters, we will hold shorter (2-3 hour) online PD sessions to prepare you to teach the units in the spring semester of EYW: Computing. We anticipate that you will need to attend three of these shorter PDs. We will work with you to determine the best dates and times for these PDs once the school year is started.
If you have any questions, feel free to email Theresa Dobbs or call 512-471-3017. (Note: We are working remotely at this time, so email is the best form of communication for quickest response.)
Summer Professional Development Details:
- Date: Monday, July 12 – Friday, July 23, 2021
- Times: Please block out the between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM CDT, Monday – Friday.
* You will not be in a virtual online meeting all day every day during PD. We will provide more schedule details as the PD dates approach.
- Location: The initial two-week summer training will occur online.
- Note: academic year training details will be provided at a later time.
- Ensure you have a computer for PD:
- You will need a laptop with a stable internet connection and a webcam.
- If you have the option, we recommend that you use the same type of computer (PC or Mac) that your students will use so that you will be familiar with the functionality that they will experience.
- Please ensure you have broad administrative privileges on the laptop that you are using during training; this very is important in case you need to fix unexpected issues quickly (with our troubleshooting help as needed) in order to continue participating in the live PD.
- Install required software. As soon as possible, please install all of the necessary software on the computer that you will use in PD.
- Complete the recommended Python tutorial. Please go through the online Python programming language tutorial at https://www.learnpython.org/ before the workshop.
- We also strongly recommend that you also complete the Codecademy Python 3 Tutorial, especially if you want to practice more and reinforce your new Python skills. Codecademy has very high-quality materials and would be our top recommendation; however, they charge a fee to access their content after a free 7-day trial period.
- Purchase equipment and supplies (if applicable): We recommend purchasing kits of equipment and supplies through Studica as soon as possible, as some of the equipment will be useful (but not required) for PD in July. Details about which supplies are needed for summer training will be provided as the PD date approaches.
- For information about how to purchase supplies and equipment kits, please see the Resources Webpage here: engineeryourworld.org/resources (Password: EYW#1utatx).
- Complete the pre-survey: If you have not already done so, please complete the required pre-survey.
- Submit a head shot and paperwork: Please upload these required items (listed below) to the UTBox Upload Widget.
- Ensure your PD invoice is paid. You will be (or have been) copied on the invoice sent to the accounting contact specified on your school enrollment form. This is typically sent in the spring or early summer, but will depend on when teacher registration occurs.
Check back here regularly for updates!